Log your Android resources on Cosm!

Being inspired from CosmX (announced at Cosm Blog as a recent hack day project) that updates a Cosm feed with your system’s current CPU usage, I have developed a similar Android app.

The app logs CPU usage, available memory, data usage (transmitted and received Kb) and battery level:

When you start the app it asks for a Cosm Feed ID and a key (with update and create permissions). Users can also configure what resources will be logges and how often the feed will be updated (1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours).

The CPU usage and available memory are polled every 10 seconds and a total average is calculated and used for updating the feed.

Thinking of adding more features like call duration and number logs, etc. especially if users like it and find it useful. A background service is used to monitor and log the resources, users can start/stop the service through the application main interface.

You can download the apk and Android source files from: http://code.google.com/p/cosm-android-logger

You can also get the application throug Android Play:

QRCode

EDIT (29/6/12): Entering the Cosm key manually really sucks, so I have updated the app to use a QR code reader for that purpose. Simply go to http://goqr.me/ or any alternative and generate a QR code with your key. Then simply use the ‘Read QR code’ button ;-)

11 Comments

1. Holidaydrunk July 26, 2012 11:08 am Reply

Hi! Very nice app. My feed shows continuously 0 — any idea what I’m doing wrong..?

• Charalampos July 26, 2012 8:23 pm Reply

Hi! Glad you like it, :-)

Can you check if the app is running on the background? (Settings, applications, manage running services) or try restarting the service from the application menu!

2. Holidaydrunk July 27, 2012 12:31 pm Reply

Yes, it is running but quite often shutting down (there must be a reason for this?
    ). Don’t know the reason, but seems anyway that no data is relayed to cosm.
    I wish there was a tutorial for getting started with the source file :-D

• Charalampos July 28, 2012 11:59 am Reply

Well, indeed in some cases it stops running after some (random) period of time, could be memory issues, don’t really know. Haven’t spent much time on the implementation, I just made the app as a ‘proof of concept’. If you need any help with the source code just let me know :-)

3. maidbloke October 10, 2012 10:55 pm Reply

Nice app but it’s not working on my HTC Desire HD.
    Have it set to updating every 5 mins. Phone is saying 1 process and 1 service is running. I have setup my Cosm key OK, it has read, update and create permissions. Your app set up the datastreams OK but hasn’t posted values.

• Charalampos October 11, 2012 4:48 pm Reply

Hi,
      sometimes the app can froze, so you need to re-start the service. Let me know if this fixes the issue.

4. Tilman Baumann October 26, 2012 1:23 pm Reply

Awesome idea. Just does not work. I get a zero value flat line.

• Charalampos November 1, 2012 10:14 am Reply

Thanks! Turns out that in many devices values are not posted, need to check out the code and make an update. Feel free to use the code and make any changes! http://code.google.com/p/cosm-android-logger

5. Charalampos December 21, 2012 10:44 pm Reply

Have found the bug (sorry abt that), now it should be working fine. I have uploaded the new version to Google Play, it might take some time until it reaches your devices as an update. Thanks!

6. Sorin March 19, 2013 3:58 pm Reply

Hi. Great App really useful, and helped me alot with understanding how mqtt is used in conjunction with android and cosm. I have a suggestion, regarding, app extension, I was thinking of IOIO OTG, is there a possibility that one day reading IOIO OTG data or triggering events be a possible option? I would like to participate. I am a tester of profession and am currently learning java, android sdk and know a little bit of python. An also, was thinking to forward Torque data and push it on cosm. Maybe in the future, enginners can have a look at car behaviour based on real live feeeds from all over.Give me a feedback, looking forward to. One again, great app and, Cheers.

• Charalampos March 19, 2013 5:04 pm Reply

Hi, thanks for your feedback! Let’s talk more about the project idea, send me an email! Cheers.